Monday 22 March 2010

The Cartoon Laws of Pysics

I have been very fortunate, despite my computer problems, to have landed on my feet for a change - given the chance to teach an Animation Workshop at a local school, teaching and showing today's generation how to do "real" animation, ranging from 2D Animation, Stop-Motion and the occasional CGI.

In my first workshop, I gave an in-depth but fun history into animation - from its early roots right up to the present day, and also demonstrating how cartoons from the past have made an impact on newer shows today. How John K and Danny Antonucci had been inspired greatly by the works of Bob Clampett and Tex Avery to bring to us Ren and Stimpy and Ed, Edd n Eddy, and so on :)

Just for fun, I also put together a short montage showing the kids the Cartoon Laws of Physics - while these don't apply to every cartoon made to date, they are well worth taking note of in order to make animation "fun" again...and not leave all the work to "Seth Macfatwallet" :P


I apologise for the lack of quality in most of the clips, but I had to work with what I could from CD/DVD collections and the occasional YouTube video - showcasing the best from British and American Animation, hopefully!

Watch, learn and enjoy =)


Chris Signore - The Cartoon Laws of Physics

1 comment: